Broughtontown Ky History

First row, Seventh from the left: Cynthia Belcher – Second row, left to right, last two: Joe Crank, James Mullins

Last row, left to right, last three: Marie Todd, Lester Todd, Homer Todd -Broughtontown School around 1934

Broughtontown was named after a family of Union Soldiers; William Broughton, Henry Clay Broughton,
and John Broughton. The Broughton brothers served in the 24th Kentucky Regiment of the Union Army during the Civil War.
See article by David Gambrel

1880 Crab Orchard Kentucky Census

1879 Map

7 – 19 – 1940

1 – 10 – 1950

Broughtontown Lake – The watershed was built in the late 60s by the Army Corps of Engineers

4 – 18 – 1975

Churches in the area =

The United Baptist Church of Christ at Friendship was organized August 17th, 1839
at Buck Creek schoolhouse. On August 3rd, 1844, the members of the church decided to build a new meetinghouse on Joseph Delaney land near Glade Fork at the present location. See article by Lila Lay Loggins, Doris Oliver Irvin and Christine Blevins Scheffler.

Members to add – Able Singleton, John Wren, John Delaney, Joseph Delaney, Alexander Singleton,
Joseph Singleton, William Delaney, Mary Delaney Sr, Mary Delaney Jr, Jackson Wheelden, Uny Wheelden,
Rauscna Delaney, Uny Davis, Milly Adams, Mary Dunaway, James Dunaway, Martha Wilson, Berrilda Delaney, Amy Delaney, Jackson Singleton, Martha Griffin, Mary Ann Griffin, Elizabeth Delaney, John Griffin,
Nancy Ellison, Elander Delaney, Mary Davis, Elizabeth Davis, Martha Davis, Florah Ann Blankenship-Patton (daughter of 1844 pastor James Blankenship), Joseph Davis, Jane Haggard, Matthew Delaney, Elizabeth Hutchison, William Helton, Marion Graham, Augustin Graham, Happy Warren, James Bastin, Thomas Shelton Blankenship (son of pastor James Blankenship), Dasia Anderson Blankenship (wife of Thomas S Blankenship), Stephen Blankenship (son of pastor James Blankenship), Alexander Singleton, Mary Blankenship-Singleton (daughter of pastor James Blankenship) and Rebecca Avoy (she was the sister of David Noakes), Ellison Wren Estep, and Hampton Todd. I am sure there were more names but these were what appeared in the Friendship First Church book.

Thomas and Dasia moved to Kansas after the civil war and Dasia died while out there in 1871. Thomas came back to Lincoln County, KY in 1872. He married Mary Alice Delaney (daughter of William Delaney) in 1873. William is buried at Friendship Cemetery.

Alexander Singleton married Pastor Blankenship’s daughter, Mary.

Later King David Noakes was pastor at Friendship Baptist Church. He married Margaret Blankenship (daughter of pastor James Blankenship.)

Martin A. Middleton married Nancy Jane Blankenship (daughter of pastor James Blankenship). Martin A. Middleton would later become a pastor at Grove Baptist Church in Casey County, now located on Hwy 501.

Friendship Baptist Church in Broughtontown, Lincoln Co Ky

Photo taken in the 1870s – 1st Row, sitting down, left to right- King David Noakes and the older man with the hat on his knee was David’s father, Elihu Noakes

Standing, 1st Row to the right at the end of photo is William Delaney

Back Row, tall man wearing the black hat just to the right of the doorway is John Baker. The second lady right of John Baker in the Black dress is Florah Ann Blankenship-Patton. The tall man wearing the black hat at the right corner of meeting house is Andy Todd.

Alexander Singleton (Church Clerk) in 1844

King David Noakes – was pastor in the 1870s

1980